JOYRIDE 2013: FREERIDE MOUNTAIN BIKE COMPETITION RETURNS TO WHISTLER
WHISTLER, BC – July 23rd, 2013 – In a little over one we ...
WHISTLER, BC – July 23rd, 2013 – In a little over one week from now, Red Bull Joyride will once again descend the mountain in Whistler, BC on Saturday, August 17th as part of the weeklong Crankworx festival. Fusing elements of slopestyle, dirt jump, and North Shore mountain biking, Red Bull Joyride will culminate into one gravity-fed, season-defining freeride mountain bike competition. Eighteen of the world’s best riders have been officially invited to battle it out for a chunk of the $50,000 in prize money and historical bragging rights.
"Joyride is the biggest slope-style course of the year, which means it needs the best preparation. Any good course has rider input and Red Bull Joyride is honestly a rider inspired course," said Brandon Semenuk.
The Course - POV Video & Map
All of the course features have been re-imagined for 2013 with a design that is less about speed and more about flow. The overall line of the course has been changed to move riders more directly across the hill, rather than straight down. It has been a work in progress over the past two months as athletes and builders work together to make refinements, but last week Darren Berrecloth was able to give the course his final stamp of approval after test riding the course for the first time. With a GoPro camera strapped on tight, Darren Berrecloth was able to give the world its first live action glimpse of the course in action. Hang on tight and ride along with Darren here (www.redbull.com/bike). For additional photos from the day, check out the gallery at www.redbullcontentpool.com and simply search ‘Darren Berrecloth’.
“Designed by the leading masterminds in the sport, this will be the course to watch. This year has seen the best synergy between the course builders and athletes, allowing the builders to complete a course that has everything a slopestyle athlete would ever want in a world-class slopestyle event. The course is so smooth this year and the features connect really well which will gives us (the riders) more time to set up for jumps” said Darren Berrecloth.
Legendary course builder Paddy Kaye, who’s input and expertise have been instrumental in the design of the Red Bull Joyride course was also thrilled with the outcome. “Thanks to the input from athletes like Darren (Berrecloth), we’ve been able to design and build a slopestyle track that flows, allowing the competitors the chance to land their best tricks during the contest, and have the opportunity to showcase the progression of the sport” said Kaye.
The athlete input this year has been nothing but positive. Riders agree that the new design is safer, allowing them to check their speed in a number of sections, which means more runs completed and less crashing. The radius of all the ramps will be longer, and the course will have more sections where the riders can regroup and focus on laying down big, clean tricks. And tricks are exactly what the judges are looking for. With 12 different point-scoring features in total, the 2013 Red Bull Joyride course will be the longest slope-style course in the history of Crankworx.
With construction now complete, an official course map has now been release providing an illustrated bird’s eye view of the new course.
The Chosen Few - 2013 Official Athlete Roster
Red Bull Joyride features the crème de la crème of professional slopestyle mountain biking. Based on results from the years Gold/Diamond FMBA events, previous Joyride events and wildcard selections, an invitation to Red Bull Joyride does not come easily. Here is a look at the top 18 slopestyle riders competing at this years event:
1. Thomas Genon – Winner Red Bull Joyride 2012
2. Martin Soderstrom - 2nd Place Red Bull Joyride 2012
3. Cam McCaul – 3rd Place Red Bull Joyride 2012
4. Kurt Sorge – Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
5. Sam Pilgrim - Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
6. Anthony Messere - Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
7. Tyler McCaul - Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
8. Darren Berrecloth - Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
9. Antoine Bizet - Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
10. Cam Zink - Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
11. Yannick Granieri - Top 12 FMBA 52 week seeing list
12. Brandon Semenuk – Winner Crankworx Les 2 Alpes 2012
13. Mike Montgomery – Top 3 Finalist Crankworx Whistler 2010
14. Kelly McGarry – Top 8 Finalist Crankworx Whistler 2012
15. Andreu Lacondeguy – Highest placed finalist at X-Games Munich 2012
16. Anton Thelander – Highest placed finalist at Crankworx Les 2 Alpes 2013
17. Szymon Godziek – Alternate top 12 FMBA 52 week seeding list
18. Greg Watts – Wildcard Winner Crankworx Whistler 2009